Friday, January 18, 2019

Favorite Popeye part 9--Ray Pointer

Even though Popeye's birthday has passed, this blog will continue to celebrate for the rest of the month. Animated comics are on hiatus for now.


Ray Pointer who is the definative Fleischer historian gave his favorite Popeye. This is the last of the favorites. Tomorrow I'll be showing examples of Popeye in other comic strips.

Thanks for asking. And I plan a nice post on the Fleischer page on the 17th. Even though it is his comic strip debut, it is still a milestone. As for my "favorite," it would be hard to pin it down to one. If I were to consider the black and white one reelers, A DATE TO SKATE is one of my favorites, followed by HOLD THE WIRE. Then there are the Specials. Of the three, SINDBAD THE SAILOR is my favorite.



A Date to Skate:



Hold The Wire:




Popeye The Sailor Meets Sindbad The Sailor:





Here is also the trailer for Ray's book, The Art and Inventions of Max Fleischer:



No comments:

Post a Comment