Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Favorite Popeye part 7---Gavin Freitas




Gavin Freitas, director of The One and Only June Foray and today staff member on The Simpsons told me his favorite Popeye cartoon. This cartoon is available on the new Popeye set so I won't show the whole cartoon.


My favorite Popeye cartoon is, "The Marry Go Round" by Paramount Famous Studios. This cartoon cracked me up as a kid. Popeye is very hesitate and shy to purpose to Olive, so Shorty gives him advice along the way, but his advice backfires. Shorty himself purposes to Olive (on behalf of Popeye) and does a Charles Boyer, "Come with me to the Casbah". "Your eyes are like liquid pools". etc lol. Olive then starts chasing Shorty around the house like a love struck school girl. Loved the design of these cartoons and what fun writing. There's a great iris transition when Shorty and Popeye go from the ship to Olives place. I've never seen a studio do that to my knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment